Canada Child Tax Benefit and Child Disability Benefit (CDB)

Data entry links and information

You must enter data for your dependants to get the Canada Child Tax Benefit.

 Canada Child Tax Benefit and Child Disability Benefit (CDB)

If you are responsible for the care of a child who is under 18, you can apply for the CCTB for that child. To do so, submit a completed Form RC66, Canada Child Tax Benefit Application, along with any other documents required, as soon as possible after the child is born or begins to live with you. This information is also used to apply for payments from related provincial or territorial programs. If you are a permanent resident, temporary resident, or protected person (refugee) as defined in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, you should apply as soon as possible after you and your child arrive in Canada.

In addition to the CCTB, you can also receive a CDB if your child meets the criteria for the disability amount and the CRA have approved Form T2201, Disability Tax Credit Certificate for the child.

The maximum annual Child Disability Benefit is $2,300 for each child who is eligible for the Disability Tax Credit.

The CCTB and CDB are based on the net income (line 236) shown on your return and, if applicable, your spouse or common-law partner's return minus any amount you or your spouse or common-law partner reported on line 117. Therefore, to qualify for these benefits, you both have to file a return every year, even if there is no income to report.

Once you have applied for the CCTB, you have to advise the CRA immediately of any of the following changes (as well as the date it happened or will happen):

Certain changes could mean you have to pay back some benefits if you wait to notify CRA of any of these changes.

For more information, get pamphlet T4114, Your Canada Child Tax Benefit, or call the CRA at 1-800-387-1193.

Universal Child Care Benefit (UCCB)

Since July 2006, if you are an eligible individual responsible for the care of a child under 6 years of age, you are eligible to receive $100 per month for each qualified dependant. You do not need to apply for the UCCB if either of the following situations applies to you. The benefit will be sent to you automatically if:

If neither of these situations applies to you, then you will have to apply for the UCCB by completing Form RC66, Canada Child Tax Benefit Application.

While the UCCB is taxable (on line 117 of the return) in the hands of the spouse or common-law partner with the lower net income, it will not be taken into account in calculating your GST/HST credit, your CCTB payments and any related provincial or territorial benefit, social benefits repayment (line 235), and the refundable medical expense supplement (line 452).

For more information, visit the CRA Web site at
Help index
Close window